Here they are…the new Kindles!
I woke up more than an hour early this morning…just from the excitement of Amazon’s presser (press conference) scheduled for 10:30 AM Pacific!
Update: here is Amazon’s video of the entire press conference:
I’m going to put the links for any new products right here, as soon as I can:
I want you to be able to see them right away, and I’ll add information to this post about them as I can.
- Kindle Fire HD 7″, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB
- Kindle Fire HD 8.9″, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB
- Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6″ High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi – Includes Special Offers
- Kindle Paperwhite, 6″ High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi – Includes Special Offers
Here’s the first information:
- The Mindle goes to $69 from $79…right now
- New RSK (Reflective Screen Kindle) called Kindle Paperwhite, available for pre-order September 14 (ships October 1), $119 (or $179 with 3G). This is a frontlit device, with a different touch screen system, faster page turns…and it calculates your reading speed. Even with the light, battery life of eight weeks
- New same size Kindle Fire
- Fire HD 8.9″ with one front facing camera and HMDI out (you can hook it up to your TV). 41% faster than the iPad. $299 for the standard version.
- Fire HD 8.9″ with 4G…you can get 250MB of data a month from AT&T…for only $50 per year! That’s a very low cost data plan. Has 32GB hard drive. $499. Shipping November 20.
- The currently sold-out Kindle Fire is basically reborn for $159…and includes new features, including the “FreeTime” parental control, X-Ray for movies, audiobooks synced with sight-reading…yowza! Released on September 14
This is all preliminary…I’ll update this.
Update: they also announced Kindle Serials…serialized fiction. I was suggesting that was a good thing some time ago.
X-Ray for movies: pause a movie, and find out about the actors in it.
It sounds like they are able to sync your position in an audiobook to a book you are sight-reading…that’s pretty amazing, if true.
Skype on the tablet, with a custom app for the front-facing camera.
Parental controls for the amount of time spent on different types of content…hm, something about multiple child profiles.
X-Ray for textbooks.
Game information stored in the Cloud…sounds like you might be able to move high scores and game progress from one device to another.
Bluetooth! Hello, physical keyboard!
Again, this is all preliminary…I’m not seeing the official stuff from Amazon yet, just skimming online sources. When I can link you to the real information, I will.
Update: here are the press releases:
- http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1732545&highlight= (Paperwhite)
- http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1732546&highlight= (Kindle Fire HD)
Update: note that the Paperwhite does not have audio…
Update: I have done a separate post comparing the currently available Kindles.
Update: Two of the 7″ Kindle Fires (the HD and the SD) are coming to Amazon.co.uk! That’s a big change!
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the I Love My Kindle blog.