Giving thanks 2012
In the USA (where I live), today is Thanksgiving. I thought I’d mention some of the things in the world of e-books and Kindles for which I’m thankful this year. Of course, outside of that, there are many thinks for which I’m truly grateful (including my family and my job), and I tend to generally think things are good. However, narrowing down the focus will make for a better and more useful post for you.😉 I hope you all have things for which you are thankful, and if you don’t, that you will soon.
I’m thankful for…
- Being able to stop text-to-speech on my Kindle Fire HD 7″ just by hitting the power button and rotating the device a quarter turn. I know that seems weird, but it means I can easily turn it off as I get out of the car
- How my Flipboard morning read gives me that old newspaper sense of discovery, and shows me so many interesting stories
- Increasable text size on all of my Kindles…there was a time I wouldn’t have imagined how much that would matter
- The comfortable feel of the frontlighting on my Kindle Paperwhite, which gives me the best reading experience I’ve ever had, including paperbooks
- Readers who take the time to comment, especially when they respectfully disagree with me. They sometimes give me important heads-ups for news stories, and sometimes just get me to see something in a different way
- Dabble…oh, the hundreds of games I’ve played! Due to the quirky nature of the words that it accepts, there is often a fun discovery for me…it doesn’t take “id”, but it takes “IOU”? That amuses me
- That Amazon lets us install third-party apps on our Kindles. Zinio has given me one of my favorite paper magazines in a much easier format. I use the Maxthon browser (not yet in the Amazon Appstore for the Kindle Fire HD) much more than Silk, and Amazon makes implementing that choice not complicated
- The Kindle forums! I’m able to help many people there, and that’s a great feeling for me
- Kindle Direct Publishing: I would never have been able to publish a book of quotations traditionally, and while I’m still working on updating it (I’m adding a lot of cross-referencing) and it’s taking too much of my time and attention right now (when I probably should be writing some sort of guide to the Kindle Fire HD, which would be popular), it’s a passion project…and there’s nothing wrong with that😉
- The ability to get to my highlights online at http://kindle.amazon.com…that makes things so much easier
- Being able to use my Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 5000 with my Kindle Fire HD! That’s a wonderful thing, and I’m thankful that Amazon fixed a glitch with an update that had made it repeat numbers…now, it’s a practical way to write using my Fire
- Open Road Media for bringing us well-known books without text-to-speech access blocked, and to Amazon for including them in discounted deals
- The US Department of Justice, for bringing a legal action that is ending the Agency Model…not all of it so far, but they have made progress, and it’s not over yet
- Jeff Bezos…for having enthusiasm, innovation, and leadership
- Amazon’s incredible customer relationship team, which so often provides such personal attention
I could keep going, but I want to make sure I thank you, the readers (and especially the subscribers). You not only make all of this possible for me, but you make it so much more valuable. You are, honestly the main reason I do this…I love to hear from you, to learn from you, and to just know you are out there.
Best to you and yours today and throughout the year!
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the I Love My Kindle blog.