KDD: Love the Movie? Read the Book for $2.99 or Less (each)
There is no question that you can get some great bargains as part of the Kindle Daily Deals (at AmazonSmile…support a non-profit of your choice by shopping*).
Today is no exception.
However, I would love to be part of the discussion when they decide to do a “theme”, and see just how they make the selections.
For example, today they are doing books about movies, and the suggestion (but not stated) point is that they are tying into tomorrow’s Oscar ceremony**.
I would expect, therefore, to see books which have been made into movies nominated for this year’s Academy Awards.
As a former brick-and-mortar bookstore manager, though, I know that the economics may make it that you can’t just put everything on a sale (especially a deep sale like this) that fits a category.
Also, as a movie fan, I know that not every movie literary adaptation is based on a successful book (even Oscar nominated movies), and the books may not even be in print.
So, what is in this deal?
- Philomena (nominated this year)
- Life of Pi
- The Devil Wears Prada
- The Silence of the Lambs
- No Country for Old Men
- Schindler’s List
- Gone, Baby, Gone
- Mystic River
- All the King’s Men
- The Cider House Rules
- The Invisible Woman (nominated this year for Costume Design)
- Ordinary People
- The Exorcist
- The Pianist
- Catch Me If You Can
- The Descendants
- Rush to Glory (the basis for Rush…came out this year, but not Oscar nominated)
- A Beautiful Mind
- Forest Gump
Again, there are a lot of great books there, and this is a good price, but it just seems a tad…imprecise a grouping.
Which books were adapted into movies which are nominated for Oscars this year?
- Captain Phillips (A Captain’s Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALs, and Dangerous Days at Sea) (at AmazonSmile)
- 12 Years a Slave
- The Wolf of Wall Street
- August: Osage County
- Ernest & Celestine
- Frozen (Hans Christian Andersen)
- The Broken Circle Breakdown
- The Great Gatsby
- The Book Thief
- Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- The Wind Rises
- Lone Survivor
- The Voorman Problem
You could also throw in some Mary Poppins for Saving Mr. Banks (although it’s not directly based on the books), and maybe an Iron Man collection.
Regardless, check out the KDD today…
Nominate a child to be given a free Kindle at Give a Kid a Kindle. You can also now recommend a child to be the recipient.
* I am linking to the same thing at the regular Amazon site, and at AmazonSmile. When you shop at AmazonSmile, half a percent of your purchase price on eligible items goes to a non-profit you choose. It will feel just like shopping at Amazon: you’ll be using your same account. The one thing for you that is different is that you pick a non-profit the first time you go (which you can change whenever you want)…and the good feeling you’ll get. Shop ’til you help! By the way, it’s been interesting lately to see Amazon remind me to “start at AmazonSmile” if I check a link on the original Amazon site. I do buy from AmazonSmile, but I have a lot of stored links I use to check for things.
** There is still time to make predictions in my annual BOPmadness (Bufo’s Oscar Prediction Madness) at 2014 BOPMadness (Bufo’s Oscar Prediction Madness) in my The Measured Circle blog
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the I Love My Kindle blog. To support this or other blogs/organizations, buy Amazon Gift Cards from a link on the site, then use those to buy your items. There will be no cost to you, and a benefit to them.