KDD: SF&F series starters for $1.99 each
One of today’s
is 56 (!) series starter books for science fiction and fantasy for $1.99 each.
They have some really well-known books in this offering, books with decades of fandom!
This is definitely a good deal, especially for some of you looking to duplicate books you have in paper as e-books.
Oh, I should mention: by “series starter”, I just mean that it’s the first book in a series…they aren’t specifically created in some way to be a first book. I guess I was concerned there that you might think it was like a movie trailer, and not a whole book.🙂
Here are some of the stand-outs to me:
- Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber: this is the first of the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series…swords and sorcery, but Leiber brings a humor and lightness to books that is welcome
- Tarnsman of Gor by John Norman: certainly, a scandalous series when it first was released…and perhaps, even more so now. Its sexual politics involve a world where things are…different, and not to everyone’s benefit
- Dawn (Xenogenesis) by Octavia Butler: the author has a very solid reputation, although the books are difficult for some people. They are a lot more about human character than many SF&F books, and that character isn’t always attractive
- Tales of Nevèrÿon by Samuel R. Delany
- The Sunset Warrior by Eric Van Lustbader
- The Forge of God by Greg Bear
- Spellsinger by Alan Dean Foster
- Fire from Heaven by Mary Renault
- Hotel Transylvania by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
- The Silent Tower by Barbara Hambly
- At Winter’s End by Robert Silverberg
- Cluster by Piers Anthony
- Winterlong by Elizabeth Hand
- Sinai Tapestry (The Jerusalem Quarter) by Edward Whittemore (they chose this as the image of the sale…I probably would have gone with something better known. I wouldn’t have guessed that many of these books were in this offering, based on that choice)
- Watchstar by Pamela Sargent
Again, that’s just some of them. I could have picked several more.🙂
I think these may all be from Open Road, but I’m not sure…if so, that’s a good thing. Open Road books tend to be well-produced and to have good features.
- Last day to ask for an invitation to Amazon’s product unveiling next week (Amazon’s next launch event: June 18 (you can request an invite))
- Amazon is having a Kindle Fire sale…Kindle Fire HD 16 GB from $129 (down from $169), Kindle Fire HDX (at AmazonSmile: support a non-profit of your choice by shopping*) ) from $199 (down from $229), Kindle Fire HDX 8.9″ from $339 (down from $379), plus 20% Off select Kindle accessories. This won’t last
Join hundreds of readers and try the free ILMK magazine at Flipboard!
My new free Flipboard magazine, The Weird Old Days features vintage articles on ghosts, sea serpents, psychic phenomena, and more http://flip.it/ZtmYw
* I am linking to the same thing at the regular Amazon site, and at AmazonSmile. When you shop at AmazonSmile, half a percent of your purchase price on eligible items goes to a non-profit you choose. It will feel just like shopping at Amazon: you’ll be using your same account. The one thing for you that is different is that you pick a non-profit the first time you go (which you can change whenever you want)…and the good feeling you’ll get. Shop ’til you help!
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the I Love My Kindle blog. To support this or other blogs/organizations, buy Amazon Gift Cards from a link on the site, then use those to buy your items. There will be no cost to you, and a benefit to them.