The Big Deal: 350+ Kindle books on sale through June 28
I love these Big Deals!
Amazon saves us money in a lot of ways (for more, see my 10 ways Amazon saves us money on e-books.
Every once in a while, they do the “Big Deal”, which is hundreds of e-books up to 85% off. That “up to” isn’t a trick, by the way…many of them are in that range.
The current one:
runs through June 28th (in the USA Kindle store…it may not be available in your country). Interestingly, there are 383 titles at the time of writing (titles can go in and out of the sale while it is happening), when in the past, it has tended to be over 500.
Here are a few that caught my eye:
That’s an excellent review score! Apparently, the book started out as non-fiction, but then was then turned into a novel. It has to do with one person’s attempt to defect from Castro’s Cuba.
Little Princes: One Man’s Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal (at AmazonSmile)
by Conor Grennan
4.7 stars, 362 reviews
$1.99 at time of writing (87% off)
Nepal is a country that most of us don’t know very well…and not necessarily a place we’d associate with child trafficking. Grennan took on that cause.
This has been adapted multiple times, and it’s a lot more than the basic plot might make you suspect. I’d say…it’s a bit like the way that The Walking Dead isn’t really about zombies. Note: they also have The Midwich Cuckoos, which I like very much (although my Significant Other didn’t…).
This one sounds like an interesting experiment! It’s an enhance book, with animated scenes between the chapters. It does allow me to buy it and send it to a non-Fire Kindle, but I have to assume the animations won’t work. Weirdly, I don’t see the usual dropdown that tells me which devices can use the book. The reviews are excellent, even there aren’t that many of them yet.
Welcome to My Jungle: An Unauthorized Account of How a Regular Guy Like Me Survived Years of Touring with Guns N’ Roses, Pet Wallabies, Crazed Groupies, … One of the Greatest Rock Bands of All Time (at AmazonSmile)
by Craig Duswalt
4.5 stars, 113 reviews
biographies and memoirs
$1.99 at time of writing (92% off)
Gee, I actually had a pet wallaroo (I don’t recommend exotics, by the way)…and I suspect that’s about all I have in common with what’s in this book. 😉
Fireball: Carole Lombard and the Mystery of Flight 3 (at AmazonSmile)
by Robert Matzen
4.6 stars, 65 reviews
$1.99 at time of writing (93% off)
Lombard was one of the real stars of the “screwball comedies” of the 1930s…and died in a tragic plane crash.
And some others…
- The Dark Night of the Soul by Gerald G. May
- The Books of Blood: Volume 1 by Clive Barker
- Mission Compromised: A Novel by Oliver North
- Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus (children’s)
- Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut
- God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut
- Silk Road by Colin Falconer
- Reel Stuff by Don Bruns (mystery)
- Holocaust by Gerald Green
- Max Goes to the Moon by Jeffrey Bennett (children’s book with a dog…well, going to the moon)
- Shot on Location by Laurence Shames (a Key West mystery)
- The Second Lady by Irving Wallace
- A Moveable Feast by Anthony Bourdain
- Sidekicked by John David Anderson (children’s book with superheroes)
- Against the Fall of Night by Arthur C. Clarke
- The Way I Was by Marvin Hamlisch
- Red Alert by Peter Bryant (the basis for Dr. Strangelove)
- The Making of the Wizard of Oz by Aljean Harmetz (the 1939 version, from Chicago Review Press)
- The Farwalker’s Quest by Joni Sensei (children’s)
- Like Love (87th Precinct) by Ed McBain (manyother books in this series are also in this sale)
- Sir Philip’s Folly by M.C. Beaton
- Fooling Houdini: Magicians, Mentalists, Math Geeks, and the Hidden Powers of the Mind by Alex Stone
- The Case of the Lucky Legs (Perry Mason) by Erle Stanley Gardner
- Witches: The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem by Rosalyn Schanzer
- After Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by Marilyn Bardsley
- The Girl Who Was on Fire (Movie Edition): Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games Trilogy
- Bang the Drum Slowly by Mark Harris (sports classic)
- The Lost by Jack Ketchum (horror)
- Sports Illustrated: 50 Years of Great Writing (1954-2004)
- Voice of the Heart by Barbara Taylor Bradford
- Time Warped by Claudia Hammond (non-fiction about our perception of time…may tie into something I just wrote recently here)
Again, that’s not even half of them. If you have some others in this sale you’d like to suggest to my readers, feel free to comment on this post.
Join hundreds of readers and try the free ILMK magazine at Flipboard!
My new free Flipboard magazine, The Weird Old Days features vintage articles on ghosts, sea serpents, psychic phenomena, and more http://flip.it/ZtmYw
* I am linking to the same thing at the regular Amazon site, and at AmazonSmile. When you shop at AmazonSmile, half a percent of your purchase price on eligible items goes to a non-profit you choose. It will feel just like shopping at Amazon: you’ll be using your same account. The one thing for you that is different is that you pick a non-profit the first time you go (which you can change whenever you want)…and the good feeling you’ll get. Shop ’til you help!
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the I Love My Kindle blog. To support this or other blogs/organizations, buy Amazon Gift Cards from a link on the site, then use those to buy your items. There will be no cost to you, and a benefit to them.