Great deals in the top 100
You know how the Agency Model artificially kept prices higher because tradpubs (traditional publishers) were unhappy with Amazon’s $9.99 pricing on most bestsellers and other new and popular books?
There must not be enough sad face emojis in the world to express how they feel now!
Well, maybe they aren’t that sad. Maybe they are actually making more money by making it up on volume, but I am shocked (and as a consumer, pleased) with the prices in the top ten right now.
$9.99? They wish!
This list updates every hour, but here it is:
Seriously, check out the prices. Even for that person you know who only reads a few books a year (and only those in the middle of the mainstream), you can find something at a bargain price.
Remember that you can buy the book now and delay delivery until the appropriate gift giving event. Alternatively, you can have the gift sent to you, print it out, wrap it and give it in person.
These can also make great small gifts…just print it out and put it with the others.
If your recipient already has the book, they can get a store credit…easy peasy.
Here are some that are standing out to me:
- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand $4.99…4.8 stars out of 5 with 15,420 customer reviews at the time of writing! Also a major motion picture (likely to get Oscar nominations), and non-fiction
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr $6.99…topping best of and bestseller lists
- Hercule Poirot’s Christmas by Agatha Christie $1.99
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn $4.99
- Captivated by You by Sylvia Day $2.50
- The Burning Room (A Harry Bosch Novel) by Michael Connelly $3.99…this is going to be an Amazon TV series
- All the President’s Men by Bob Woodward $1.99 (this price won’t last)
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed $6.15 (another Oscar likely movie)
- American Sniper by Chris Kyle $2 (new movie being released, might get Bradley Cooper an Oscar nom)
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien $2.79
- The Martian by Andy Weir $3: indie to tradpub success, and yes, there will be a movie
- The Giver by Lois Lowry $2.99
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman $2.75
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon $2.99
- Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King $3.99
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green $2.99
- If I Stay by Gayle Forman $2.99
- Divergent by Veronica Roth $2.99
Really, those prices are generally lower than what we were charging for mass market paperbacks when I managed a bookstore…a lot more than a decade ago.
Some of this may be due to price matching, and the prices can change at any time…but you can get people very popular books for bargain prices!
Join over a thousand readers and try the free ILMK magazine at Flipboard!
* I am linking to the same thing at the regular Amazon site, and at AmazonSmile. When you shop at AmazonSmile, half a percent of your purchase price on eligible items goes to a non-profit you choose. It will feel just like shopping at Amazon: you’ll be using your same account. The one thing for you that is different is that you pick a non-profit the first time you go (which you can change whenever you want)…and the good feeling you’ll get. Shop ’til you help!
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the I Love My Kindle blog. To support this or other blogs/organizations, buy Amazon Gift Cards from a link on the site, then use those to buy your items. There will be no cost to you, and a benefit to them.