$20 off Mindle Touch and Kindle for Kids bundle: back to school deals
There are public schools in the USA that start in August (many Utah schools, for example), so this actually seems like appropriate timing. 🙂
As the former manager of a brick-and-mortar bookstore, I understand these “time themed” sales…and they are often very effective.
For many people, it feels like buying a book is not the default, as it is with some “serious readers”. 😉 For some of us, we look for a reason not to buy a book. For most people, they need a motivation to move to that “buy” position: time themes are a good reason for those folks.
Back to school is one: clearly, you are going to spend money when the kids start back to school, and that feels justified. In some ways, it’s an investment. We’ve seen the evidence that reading is actually associated with positive brain changes in children. Giving your child a better life clearly motivates many guardians…and then, of course, there are those who want their kids to take care of them in their dotage. 😉
Amazon has two deals right now on Kindle EBRs (E-Book Readers)…and they are both $20 off:
- The entry level model, the one I call the “Mindle Touch”(at AmazonSmile: benefit a non-profit of your choice by shopping*) making it only $59 in its least expensive configuration (this is also called the 7th generation Kindle)
- Kindle for Kids Bundle with the latest Kindle, 2-Year Accident Protection, Blue Kid-Friendly Cover (at AmazonSmile*): that’s the same model, plus a cover and a better warranty, for $20 more..$79
This is definitely, as I described it when it was on sale for this price in March, a serviceable device. It’s lit the same way as a p-book (paperbook): that is, it has no built-in light, and you would use a lamp to read it in an otherwise dark room.
What would you be “missing out on” if you bought this one rather than the next one up?
Well, the most obvious difference with the
is that it has a built-in “frontlight”, which makes it the most comfortable reading experience I’ve had…including paper.
It has the same basic screen technology as the “Mindle Touch”, but includes a light pointed at the screen (not at your eyes, like a backlit tablet/laptop/SmartPhone).
However, right now, you’d pay $60 more to have that frontlight…$119.
That might not be what you want to do all the time…you may just want something on which to read at the best price.
If you don’t do this one, when might we see a discount again?
Here are some possibilities:
- When new models are announced (probably September)
- Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and other holiday sales)
- Returns/gift card week (December 26th through January 2nd)
- Valentine’s Day (February 14th)
- Mothers’ Day (May)
- Grads and Dads (June)
- Prime Day (July 15th…I’m assuming that will become an annual thing)
I think they’ll keep this sale going at least through today, and perhaps for a few days…