2015: Things I’m thankful for in e-books, Kindles/Fires, and at Amazon
Yesterday, on Thanksgiving, you may have taken some time with your friends and family to reflect on thing for which you feel grateful. As I’m sure is the case with most of you, I could name meaningful things in my circle.
For this post, I wanted to focus on something a bit different, but continue in the spirit of thankfulness.
These are some of the things for which I’m grateful in the areas covered by this blog, or related to this blog. Even though the title says “2015”, by no means did I just start getting the benefits of all of these this year.🙂
These also don’t cover everything…I’m a pretty grateful person.😉
Here they are, in no particular order:
- Well, I said no particular order, but I do want to say this one first.🙂 I’m thankful for you, my readers. I’m thankful when you catch my errors, or when you respectfully disagree, or when you make me think something new or see something from a new perspective. Yes, I’m also thankful when you tell me you like something🙂
- I’m also particularly thankful for subscribers! You are one of the main things that makes it possible for me to do this and share it with you🙂
- I’m thankful for increasable text sizes
- I’m thankful for text-to-speech! I use it typically for hours a week in the car
- Thank you to WordPress for having a free blogging platform!
- I’m thankful for the copyright laws that make older books legally available free, and for the people and organizations (especially Project Gutenberg) digitizing and distributing those books**
- I’m thankful for Kindle Unlimited (at AmazonSmile: benefit a non-profit of your choice by shopping*), and for all the publishers that have worked out agreements to have their books available through the subscription service
- I’m thankful for the triple tap on my Fire tablets which magnifies whatever is on the screen
- I’m thankful for the normal Kindle store licensing, which means that my Significant Other and I can usually read the same book at the same time for just one download price…which means we can talk about it together after we are done reading it
- I’m thankful for dictation on my Kindle Fire HDX…and for the free Swype app for my Fire, 7″ Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB – Includes Special Offers, Black (at AmazonSmile: benefit a non-profit of your choice by shopping*)
- I’m thankful for the comfortable frontlighting on my Voyage and Paperwhite
- Thanks for the long battery charge life on my EBRs (E-Book Readers)!
- Thanks to Amazon for having their customer forums
- I’m thankful to Amazon for Kindle Direct Publishing…not just for what opportunities it has given me, but for how it has changed the publishing landscape
- I’m thankful for always being able to have books with me…and to not have to carry a separate suitcase with me just for books when I travel
- I’m thankful for always having enough to read
- I’m thankful for being able to go back to a book, and have it be right where I left off
- Oh, I’m really thankful for being able to search books!
- I’m thankful for readers of the blog who are tolerant of posts that aren’t all their favorite kind😉
- I’m thankful for everybody who comments, and participates in the polls
- I’m thankful the person at Amazon who recently arranged an interview for me, and for Adrian Liang for such interesting and informative answers
- I’m thankful to Amazon’s Customer Service, which has been friendly, professional, and helpful when I’ve needed them
- I’m thankful to Amazon for continuing to innovate
- I’m thankful to the authors for giving me new worlds to visit, and new perspectives on this one and everything (and everyone) in it
Join thousands of readers and try the free ILMK magazine at Flipboard!
* I am linking to the same thing at the regular Amazon site, and at AmazonSmile. When you shop at AmazonSmile, half a percent of your purchase price on eligible items goes to a non-profit you choose. It will feel just like shopping at Amazon: you’ll be using your same account. The one thing for you that is different is that you pick a non-profit the first time you go (which you can change whenever you want)…and the good feeling you’ll get. Shop ’til you help!
** This may seem contradictory to some of you, because I have explored the idea of permanent copyright in exchange for greater Fair Use provisions. While I think that’s an interesting way to go, that doesn’t make me ungrateful for the current system. I don’t think the current system is illegitimate or unfair or exploits authors…I’m just looking at other possibilities
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the I Love My Kindle blog. To support this or other blogs/organizations, buy Amazon Gift Cards from a link on the site, then use those to buy your items. There will be no cost to you, and a benefit to them.