Prime on sale this weekend for $73
For new members,
is on sale this weekend (through 11:59 PM Pacific on Sunday, 1/17) for $73 for your first year instead of $99.
Prime is great and keeps getting better!
Among the benefits:
- No additional cost two-day shipping on many items
- No additional cost streaming (and some downloading) of a wide variety of videos
- No additional cost streaming of lots of music
- One free Kindle book a month to own from a very small set
- No additional cost unlimited photo storage
You can also now do add-on subscriptions for video services…for example, you could add on Showtime for $8.99 a month. As the Millenial Hulk might say, “It’s cable cuttin’ time!”😉
Update: I meant to include why they are doing this.🙂
They are doing it to celebrate
which just won two Golden Globes (Best Television Show – Comedy or Musical, and Best Actor in the same category).
You can watch it as part of Prime at no additional cost…it’s also the second Amazon Studios TV series to be recognized.
Among other Prime movies and TV shows…
- Ex Machina (came out in 2015, Oscar-nominated)
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 (the one before last year’s)
- Selma (particularly good for this weekend, but I thought it was brilliantly directed for any time of year)
- The Craft
- True Blood TV series
- Firefly TV series
I did want to include something in this post for people who are already Prime members, and I haven’t written about this yet.
This holiday, I got a
It was something I wanted to try…my Significant Other didn’t quite get what it was, but it’s been great for me!
It’s a little router…I’d say two of them could just about fit in your palm.
It does a number of things, but here’s a key one. You can plug in an internet cable (like you might have in a hotel or at work), and it creates its own wi-fi network, with its own password.
Yep, I can just go into a hotel, plug the cable into my HooToo, plug the HooToo into power (USB)…and that’s it. All of my devices would just log into it…and it’s fast!
I haven’t tested it in a lot of situations, but so far, I’m quite impressed!
How much does it cost?
At the time of writing…$17.99!
I know, that’s a lot of exclamation marks for me, but like I say, I’m happy with it at this point.
It’s not going to give you internet where you don’t already have it…but I could take our
to a hotel with us…gee, wouldn’t you just love being in the room next to ours?😉
When people visit your home, you could also use this…and not give them the password to your regular wi-fi.
As I mentioned, it does other things…media streaming, storage, but I haven’t tried those yet.
Is this just how I feel about it?
4.3 stars (out of 5) with 1,187 on Amazon…
Join thousands of readers and try the free ILMK magazine at Flipboard!
* I am linking to the same thing at the regular Amazon site, and at AmazonSmile. When you shop at AmazonSmile, half a percent of your purchase price on eligible items goes to a non-profit you choose. It will feel just like shopping at Amazon: you’ll be using your same account. The one thing for you that is different is that you pick a non-profit the first time you go (which you can change whenever you want)…and the good feeling you’ll get. Shop ’til you help!
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the I Love My Kindle blog. To support this or other blogs/organizations, buy Amazon Gift Cards from a link on the site, then use those to buy your items. There will be no cost to you, and a benefit to them.