Friday only: Prime for new members for $79
This is a rarity, but new Prime members can sign up for $79 for the year starting Friday at 12:00am ET and ending at 11:59pm PT. They can do that by going to
I say “they”, because I’m not part of that group, already being a happy Prime member.
Whether you get that discount or not, joining
gets you a lot of stuff!
It used to mostly be about free and reduced price shipping…and it still is.😉
However, they have continued to add many benefits, and content is a big part of that.
You want to read Kindle books? You can borrow from a rotating group of (currently) over 1,000 titles, including these, all of which I’ve read and would recommend:
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
- The Hobbit (Lord of the Rings) by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim
- The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury by Bill Watterson
- What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe
You can also get a free book to own each month from a small selection of books to be published by Amazon the following month (Kindle First).
How about magazines? Just a slice of the included offerings…
- Entertainment Weekly
- Vanity Fair
- Popular Mechanics
- Reader’s Digest
- National Enquirer (and people won’t be able to tell you are reading it)😉
Music? More than two million choices! When I’m at work, I listen to at least one birthday artist…and Prime always comes through for me. Recently, that’s included:
- Gordon Lightfoot
- Cleo Laine
- Petula Clark
- Sean Combs (although I had to snap that off quickly, because it wasn’t “safe for work” and my coworkers can hear my music)😉
Now, that might make it all sound like older stuff, but it impresses me that they have that. Popular albums include
- 25 by Adele
- A Tribe Called Quest
- Storyteller by Carrie Underwood
Prefer visual entertainment?
- Mr. Holmes
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Parts 1 & 2
- The Man in the High Castle
- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Pulp Fiction
- Orphan Black
- The original Star Trek
Close to 30,000 videos!
Are you (or someone on your account) a gamer? There is a special Twitch part of Prime…this month, it’s WATCH DOGS 2.
That’s just part of Prime…seems well worth it to me, and it does make a great gift.🙂
Many more bargains coming from here to the end of the year!
Join thousands of readers and try the free ILMK magazine at Flipboard!
All aboard our new The Measured Circle’s Geek Time Trip at The History Project! Do you have what it takes to be a Timeblazer?
* I am linking to the same thing at the regular Amazon site, and at AmazonSmile. When you shop at AmazonSmile, half a percent of your purchase price on eligible items goes to a non-profit you choose. It will feel just like shopping at Amazon: you’ll be using your same account. The one thing for you that is different is that you pick a non-profit the first time you go (which you can change whenever you want)…and the good feeling you’ll get. Shop ’til you help! By the way, it’s been interesting lately to see Amazon remind me to “start at AmazonSmile” if I check a link on the original Amazon site. I do buy from AmazonSmile, but I have a lot of stored links I use to check for things.