Today’s KDD: starting 2017 off right!
Happy New Year!
is starting the year off right, with some great, nay, I’d even say iconic 😉 titles!
If you are giving yourself a reading challenge** this year, and if you are still buying books one at a time (as opposed to getting them free or using a subser ((subscription service)) like Kindle Unlimited (at AmazonSmile: benefit a non-profit of your choice by shopping*), these are excellent bargains!
Of course, it’s never too early to start shopping for 2017’s holiday gifts. 😉 Well, maybe it is, but you can buy these at the bargain price, and then either delay them for a birthday or other gift-give occasion, or send them to yourself so you can print them out and give them whenever you want, wrapped or not.
Also, there are a few here headed for visual media (movies & TV); if you are like me and would rather read a book before you see an adaptation, here’s your chance.
Check the prices before you click or tap (or eye gaze) that Buy button. Prices may not apply in your country.
Seriously, I’d be surprised if many of my readers haven’t already read at least one book in this set, and heard of several.
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (also available through Kindle Unlimited…Elisabeth Moss stars in a new Hulu series in April)
- Dune by Frank Herbert (highly influential science fiction…new movie in the works)
- Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
- The North Water by Ian McGuire
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor E. Frankl
- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
- A Series of Unfortunate Events #1: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (new Netflix series this year starring Neil Patrick Harris)
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
- Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
- A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah (I read this in paper…really moving non-fiction about child soldiers)
- Silent Spring by Rachel Carson (arguably really launched the environmental movement)
- The Executioner’s Song by Norman Mailer
- Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat
Join thousands of readers and try the free ILMK magazine at Flipboard!
* When you shop at AmazonSmile, half a percent of your purchase price on eligible items goes to a non-profit you choose. It will feel just like shopping at Amazon: you’ll be using your same account. The one thing for you that is different is that you pick a non-profit the first time you go (which you can change whenever you want)…and the good feeling you’ll get. Shop ’til you help! By the way, it’s been interesting lately to see Amazon remind me to “start at AmazonSmile” if I check a link on the original Amazon site. I do buy from AmazonSmile, but I have a lot of stored links I use to check for things.
** For example, more than 100,000 people have already signed up for the the Goodreads 2017 Reading Challenge (Goodreads is now owned by Amazon)
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the The Measured Circle blog. To support this or other blogs/organizations, buy Amazon Gift Cards from a link on the site, then use those to buy your items. There will be no cost to you, and a benefit to them.