I know these authors!
I know these authors!
You know that old game of “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon”**, where you try to connect an actor to Kevin Bacon in as few steps as possible (“Robert Downey, Jr. was in Birthday with Chris Guochoe who was in The Social Network with Dakota Johnson who was in Black Mass with Kevin Bacon…giving the Iron Man actor a Kevin Bacon number of 3”)?
Well, this page is something like that.🙂
It’s a place for me to list books by authors I know.
I wanted to do that for a few reasons.
One is, honestly, to support them.
Another reason is to give you the full disclosure if I mention the books or authors…I try to do that in place each time, but this will give you more depth.
The third one is to, hopefully, act as a discovery point for you. You are already reading this blog, so it’s possible that we have some interests in common. I think it’s entirely possible that you’ll discover a book you like on this page. That’s not to say that I like all of them equally😉 or even that I recommend all of them, but it’s a bit like stopping into a small, local bookstore when you are on vacation…you may not find something you like, but you might get something you would otherwise never have found.
I am deliberately not doing anything like reviews here, or saying much about them (outside of their relationship to me, which seems like necessary full disclosure).
Please, please, please contact me (you can comment on this page…let me know if you would like the comment kept private) if I know you and you are an author with books at Amazon so I can add you to this page. Ideally, give me the link to your Amazon Author Central page. I’m hoping this page continues to grow over time.
My books at Amazon:
Books to which I’ve contributed in some way (and was credited/acknowledged)
- Behind the Flying Saucers (annotated) (with OPUS) (I digitized this and wrote a new introduction)
- I was acknowledged in Loren Coleman’s (see below) Cryptozoology A to Z
- Crash Gordon and the Revelations from Big Sur (I read this pre-publication and offered advice) by Derek Swannson (see below)
- Examkrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT Chemistry (March 4, 2002)
- XAFS for Everyone (May 20, 2013)
- What Do We Care What Other People Think? (June 21, 2013)
Scott also has a Kickstarter project for a new book (“A Problem Solving Graphic Novel Guide for General Physics”). You can help get the book published by pledging through May 23rd, 2015, at 4:00 PM PDT.
- One Murder More (June 1, 2015) Maren Kane #1
- Tinsel and Temptation (Nov 13, 2015) Maren Kane short story in anthology
- A Programmed Introduction to the Game of Chess (Introduction) 1961
- Psychology (1962)
- Adult Basic Education Pre-Institute Seminar, Wayne State University (Contributor) (May 1967)
- Programmed Instruction: Bold New Venture (Editor) (1969)
- The DOS Primer and More (January 1966)
- Chemical Evolution (June, 1969)
- Melvin Calvin: Following the Trail of Light: A Scientific Odyssey (Profiles, Pathways, and Dreams) (May 5, 1992)
Other people I know/have known in real life
Ruben Uriarte (served together at a non-profit)
- The Coyame Incident: UFO Crash Near Presidio, Texas (Oct 8, 2013) (with Noe Torres)
- The Other Roswell: UFO Crash on the Texas-Mexico Border (Apr 28, 2008) (with Noe Torres)
- Aliens in the Forest: The Cisco Grove UFO Encounter (Dec 9, 2011)
- Mexico’s Roswell (Apr 23, 2007)
- UFOs Over Mexico!: Encounters with Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (Jul 7, 2014) (contributor)
- Mexico’s Roswell: The Chihuahua UFO Crash (May 1, 2008)
- UFOs (Feb 9, 2002) (with Dr. Virginia Bennett)
William J. Birnes (served together at a non-profit)
- The Day After Roswell (July 15, 1999) (with Phillip Corso)
- The Star Trek Cookbook (April 3, 2012) (with Ethan Phillips)
- Dr. Feelgood: The Shocking Story of the Doctor Who May Have Changed History by Treating and Drugging JFK, Marilyn (May 1, 2013) (with Richard A. Lertzman)
Holden Herbert (co-worker)
- Annie’s Gift (August 5, 2009)
Michelle Mancha (co-worker)
- I Use My Words (James King, illustrator) (June 15, 2009)
Jennifer French (co-worker)
- Learning to Teach for Social Justice (Multicultural Education) (Multicultural Education, 11) (Editor) (January 1, 2002)
E-quaintances (never met them in person, but have had electronic communication)
I had a once-a-month rotating “column” at D.D. Scott’s The Writer’s Guide to E-Publishing when it was active, but I did not financially benefit from that site or that arrangement.
- The Bootscootin’ Books romance series
- The Royal Heirs series
- The Cozy Cash series
- The “Stuck With A” series
- The Home for the Holidays series
- The Belle Bishop, Queen of Witches series
- The WG2E All-For-Indies Anthologies
- Muse Therapy: Unleashing Your Inner Sybil
- The Mom Squad Mini-Mayhem Mysteries series
- 10 Years and 24 Hours to Indie Epublishing Success
We also exchanged letters, before the Internet was popular.🙂 I had independently come up with the name “Bufo’s Weird World” many years ago. It turned out Loren had already used the name, but this well-established author kindly gave me permission to use it, even though it was a similar theme. I’ve always been careful to call it “Bufo’s Weird World”, but I’ve never forgotten that magnanimous gesture.
- Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation’s Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures by Loren Coleman (Apr 24, 2007)
- Field Guide to Lake Monsters, Sea Serpents, and Other Mystery Denizens of the Deep by Loren Coleman (Oct 27, 2003)
- Tom Slick: True Life Encounters in Cryptozoology by Loren L Coleman (Jul 1, 2002)
- Suicide Clusters by Loren Coleman (May 1987)
- Curious Encounters: Phantom Trains, Spooky Spots and Other Mysterious Wonders by Loren Coleman (Oct 1989)
- Cryptozoology A To Z: The Encyclopedia Of Loch Monsters Sasquatch Chupacabras And Other Authentic M by Loren Coleman and Jerome Clark (May 7, 2013)
- Weird Ohio: Your Travel Guide to Ohio’s Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets by Loren Coleman, Andy Henderson, James A Willis and Mark Moran (Jan 15, 2006)
- Bigfoot!: The True Story of Apes in America by Loren Coleman (Nov 24, 2009)
- The Sync Book 2: Outer + Inner Space, Shadow + Light: 26 Essays on Synchronicity (Volume 2) by Alan Abbadessa, Freeman, Trish MacGregor and Rob MacGregor (Nov 26, 2012)
- Weird Virginia: Your Guide to Virginia’s Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets by Jeff Bahr, Troy Taylor, Loren Coleman and Mark Moran (Oct 5, 2010)
- Bigfoot Casebook updated: Sightings And Encounters from 1818 to 2004 by Janet Bord, Colin Bord and Loren Coleman (Nov 1, 2005)
- The Unidentified & Creatures of the Outer Edge by Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman (Jan 18, 2006)
- The Field Guide to Bigfoot and Other Mystery Primates by Loren Coleman and Patrick Huyghe (Mar 1, 2006)
- Crash Gordon and the Mysteries of Kingsburg by Derek Swannson and Darren Westlund (Feb 13, 2014)
- Crash Gordon and the Revelations from Big Sur by Derek Swannson and Darren Westlund (Feb 13, 2014)
- Nitt-Witt Ridge: A Big Sur Freak Fable by Crash Gordon, Derek Swannson and Darren Westlund (Mar 7, 2014)
- The Snowden Avalanche by Derek Swannson (Dec 19, 2014)
Michael R. Hicks
Michael very kindly helped me without with a technical issue very early on in my experience with the world of the Kindle. I read In Her Name because of that, which is also what made me really fall in love with my Kindle.
- The In Her Name series
- Publish Your Book on the Amazon Kindle: A Practical Guide
- The First Exchange Sampler & Companion (May 4, 2013)
- American Indian Victories (Oct 24, 2012)
- All Timelines Lead to Rome (Sep 15, 2012)
- Exchange (Jul 6, 2010)
- Snapshot: Power, Sex & Revenge (Dec 30, 2014)
- Devouring Wind (Exchange Book 2) (Apr 6, 2014)
I showed up at something once, and sang TV Theme songs with John Javna…well, I don’t remember if Javna actually sang.
- Hidalgo (March 5, 2013)
- High School, Baby! (February 10, 2015)
Some of my favorite comments on my blog have come from “Phink”.🙂
- Titanic – a 2,900 word essay (Jan 20, 2009) KU
- The Fair Tax – An Easy to Understand Essay that Explores Both the Pros & Cons of this Issue (Feb 15, 2009) KU
- Conversation Starters (Sep 18, 2012) KU
People I have met, but don’t really know
Note: I have to have had a one-on-one interaction with the person, like speaking with them briefly while we were at dinner together, not just been in an audience (which would really broaden this list). I wouldn’t at all be sure that they would remember me.🙂
Join thousands of readers and try the free ILMK magazine at Flipboard!
When you shop at AmazonSmile, half a percent of your purchase price on eligible items goes to a non-profit you choose. It will feel just like shopping at Amazon: you’ll be using your same account. The one thing for you that is different is that you pick a non-profit the first time you go (which you can change whenever you want)…and the good feeling you’ll get. Shop ’til you help!
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the I Love My Kindle blog. To support this or other blogs/organizations, buy Amazon Gift Cards from a link on the site, then use those to buy your items. There will be no cost to you, and a benefit to them.
** The Oracle of Bacon is a great site that lets you put in someone and get their connection to Kevin Bacon…that’s how I did my example above. It’s based on the IMDb.com site, my go to movie reference site (it is owned by Amazon). My Bacon number is 3:
- Bufo Calvin was on Strange Universe with Emmett Miller
- Emmett Miller was in Wag the Dog with Dustin Hoffman
- Dustin Hoffman was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon